Essential Safety Measures
Essential safety measures (ESM’s) include the fire, life safety and health items installed or constructed in a building to ensure adequate levels of fire safety and protection over the life of the building. As the owner of a building, you are responsible for its ongoing maintenance and have an obligation to ensure that any essential safety measure continues to perform at the same level of operation that existed when it was first commissioned. This means that regular inspections are required and accurate records are held on the property.
How can SPI Property Inspections help you?
The SPI system is designed to help building owners with their essential safety measures obligations. We know the issues that may arise and can guide you through the process. Our focus is on personal service and reliable delivery.
Our team can offer a fully managed and comprehensive program throughout the year, based on the services you require. We have developed a simple 5 step process, as follows:
All buildings, other than a house or outbuilding, are affected by the ESM regulations. The various class of buildings as defined in the National Construction Code Series can be found here.
Ensure you meet your compliance obligations. Contact us today for a free online quote or phone us directly on 1300 721 032.
- - The owner of a building is responsible for its ongoing maintenance and implementation of safety procedures. This also includes ensuring Essential Safety Measures (ESM’s) program is existing at your building. ESM’s are vital for the life, safety and health of people over a building’s duration and from 2 June 2018, the crack down on ESM […]
- - After disaster strikes, action is always imperative and in the case of the Victorian Docklands fire, the Victorian Government have done just that. The 2014 fire provoked numerous investigations, including the Metropolitan Fire Brigade’s (MFB) who found that the external aluminium cladding on the building contributed to the fire spread and did not meet compliance […]
- - The annual Fire Action Week took place recently from October 13 – 20, 2017 with the aim to promote awareness of fire safety leading into Victoria’s fire season. One of the CFA’s main goals is to protect the lives and properties of Victorians across the state. The CFA believes that fire education plays an essential […]
- - Unfortunately, the management of Essential Safety Measure’s (ESM’s) are often found to be lacking or non-existent for many buildings. In some cases, the owner is unaware about their legal obligations to comply with fire safety and protection over the life of the building. The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) can reprimand parties that are not complying […]
- - We recently had a chat with experienced ESM professional Damien Purcell, a registered Building Inspector, as he walks us through what you need to know with Essential Safety Measures. About Damien: Damien has been carrying out ESM audits and inspections since 2004 and holds a Diploma of Building Surveying as well as a Diploma of […]
- - It was only months ago the devastating building fire took place in North Kensington (London) taking several lives and leaving many homeless. Theories as to why the fire escalated so quickly are still being discussed, blaming features such as the cladding and inadequate safety procedures. The cladding had come under serious scrutiny with experts stating […]
Essential Safety Measures (ESM’s) are vital for the life, safety and health of people over a building’s duration. It’s important for the owner of the building to be informed of their obligations regarding maintenance of the ESM’s in their buildings. The type of maintenance required depends on the complexity of the safety measure and will differ depending on the use and type of building.
Download PDF Copy